View Single Post

Old 01-30-2010, 01:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To all those who are upset with me, I have spoken to Roy my self and my Dad talked to him two days ago. He said that a letter would not be helpful because it would not include a conclusive answer to the "mystery." Roy was very personable and looked up the gun by serial number. He was able to give us the manufactur date and details on some of the factory options, including target trigger and sights but he did not find info on the original finish. This seems strange to me. His opinion was that we should have the gun professionally tested to determine if it is some type of refinishing or possibly (but unlikely) a custom gun. He also said that if it is stainless, he would be interested in seeing the gun because it would be quite special. I have also consulted with additional collectors. Almost all offered one of two possibilities. One, that it is a mislabeled Model 66 that came from the factory with a few of the 100's of options on special edition runs.(that would explain the trigger and hammer comments.) The other is that it may be a prototype Model 19 in stainless, possibly testing a different grade of stainless. Not one person that has examined the gun thinks it has been refinished and the serial numbers and markings match throughout.
I meant no disrespect to those that took offense to my posts and I appreciate everyone that offered suggestions of any kind. I honestly researched every one of the posts that provided specific possibilities and actionable things to study or look at on the gun. I would like to offer my sincere thanks and appreciation to everyone that offered help. I see no reason to apologize to the 1 or 2 people that posted comments that served no purpose other than to tell me I have nothing worthwhile or the other few that chimed in. I never said the gun was a "one of a kind" or "find of a lifetime" and I simply wanted help trying to identify what I have. If I offended any but the small majority I apologize. To the 1 or 2 I referred to earlier, consider yourselves offended if that makes you feel better.