View Single Post

Old 02-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default model 14 or 19 or something else for precision target shooting?

Before I ask my question let me tell you something about about me.I am Chris from Germany and i am a maniac sportshooter.

But here in good old Germany everything is totally different with our extremely strictly gun laws.We can not buy as much as we would like to.

First we have to be minimum 25 years old, have to belong to a shooting assosiation, have to practise 18 times a year as the mininum, then you need a positive general knowlede test from a special academy, an emergency education, a stamped and complete shooting book with all the dates into, some attendances on competions, the evidence to have the right safe, the membership into a shooting club belonging to your shooting assosiation.

If all this is complete you can apply for permission on your police county. Then they check you out in really every way, just a few parking tickets is enough that they could negate.
If everything is okay,with your finance by the way too, you could go on....

Two handguns is the maximum you could have here, the call it the ground contingent.
Every gun you would like to have must be listed for a special
sporting class discipline, its a piece of sport equipment, you got it?

My first was a Les Baer P II in .45 ACP for Service pistol II, that means with adjustable sights, my second was a custom modified 586-3 in 6 '' for the PPC 1500 open class.

If you would like to go on, you need a lot of competions with good results, otherwise the game is over.

So, my third was a Glock G 17 for I.P.S.C production, and my fourth was a 586-3 standart in 6 '' for the PPC 1500 distinguished revolver match.

You could imagine that i shoot a lot,and not so bad.

Now i am looking around for a new one for Service Revolver.
This is a static discipline on a distance of 25 m on the ISSF target, 3 series per 5 shots, 150 points maximum, all the time of the world, three minutes.
Most of the guys here take for that the standart, a 686, mostly the new ones -5 and further with mim parts.That ones i won't never buy, maybe they are not so bad and probably better, but i love the old forget frames with square butts, blued,hammernose and preferably recessed cylinders but the last is not a must.
I don't need the .357 option cause i will feed it exclusively with very soft .38 special wc loads for the maximum of precision.
The allowed trigger weight for service revolver is in the SA modus 1360 g, for DA modus its not regulated.But because of the PPC i trained and i am used to shoot exclusively DA on revolvers. My both other ones are ultrasmooth DA's, they work only with federal 100 primers but great.

Now i thought for my special needs about a 15-3 or 15-4, a 19-4 or a 686-3 or 686 -4.

I think a pure .38 revolver is with only a .38 feed is probably more precise than a .357 with .38 cause its built for, i am right?

My preference is a k frame for that, cause i have already two l frames.The other reason is that the trigger of the k framed models is much smoother when it is original.With some mods it should be like butter.So for that the 686 should be out.

I have never shot a 15 or 19, here they are very unpopular, no one wants to have them.You can have them here in maybe unused condition for less than 200 Euros, thats nothing, and i think they are nice guns.

What's the best choice and what series and years are the best, what years and series i shoul not buy?

It should be precise and long living thing, but just for .38.

Best regards from Western Germany in deep snow.
The deepest since the last 30 years.

Chris