View Single Post

Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 AM

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

It were my brothers who introduced me to guns.
They were quite keen on 10 meter shooting with targetrifles in the nineteen-sixties at the local club. They took me along and let me shoot at an age of 7-8. That was not really allowed here, but it gave me the bug! The local club had to stop because the permit for the range was not prolonged, sad to tell you, so I could not shoot there when I was at the legal age (16)....
Later on, my brother-in-law took up hunting and when I went to the range with him, I got introduced to black-powder shooting. From then on, I spend lots of time at the range!

My father never was into guns, shooting-wise, but he loved to take part in hunting as a 'driver'. Excuse me please, that I don't know the right term in English; ie he walked the fields with a stick to disturb the animals for the hunters.
My grandfather from mother's side was a farmer and had a Belgian 9MM Flobert "rifle".
He had shotshells and those little 'acorns'.
One of the shotshells ruined an antique 'cabinet'door (a fancy walnut cupboard) when my grandfather wanted to release the hammer and it slipped, in the late nineteen-thirties.
According to my mother all pigeons he shot at with that gun stayed put where they were and only frowned a bit