View Single Post

Old 02-14-2010, 01:05 AM

Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
Default New guy with a new 66 coming!

Hi all,

This is really my first post in the forum...but what a great thread to start posting in!

I started my LEO days back in 1975, and used nothing but S&W revolvers. First was a model 19 4", then a model 28 HP 4", then a model 29 4". Not long after the 29, the department standardized on a .357 revolver. So in late 1978 we got to order, at a great discount price, ...the model 66 series guns. Many guys bought the 4" guns, and many of us who worked plain clothes got to order the 2.5" 66. I went with a 4" first run of the 586 L frame as my uniform gun when I got promoted to Sergeant and went pack to patrol. It was a great piece, and came from the factory with a non-fluted cylinder. Like a big dope, I sold that one also.. Currently, I actually own only one cheap, but decent Taurus 4" .22lr revolver, which hasn't been shot in 10+ years.

I actually had two of the 66 2.5"s, and for kicks, after reading this thread, I checked in my old PD documents and found the serial numbers of both of the 66's. One was a 1978 27Kxxxx and the other was a 1980 77Kxxxx. I really loved those guns, but I sold them both, and I don't even recall why or to whom. I guess I have been having a huge bout of regret and nostalgia, so I shopped and found a great condition 1978 vintage 66 2.5" that is on its way here to me!!

I will post up some photos once I again become a 'proud owner'......There are some really great weapons shown here and some excellent photography as well..I'll try to add constructively to this thread.

Take care all,

JJ
The Following 4 Users Like Post: