View Single Post

Old 02-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Liked 91 Times in 23 Posts

bubba, my wife & I ran across the same problem. I use the 649 & my wife has the 638 which are also both J-Frames. We went through Hogue, Uncle Mikes.. etc really not liking either. Yes you can use the 5 shot speedloaders on them. But on our other guns we have the S&W Combat wood grips which feel better to each of us. They are a little beefier & seem to fit better - for us anyway. So we looked around over on the For Sale/Trade Forum here & found 2 sets of the S&W Grips. Like you mentioned - the speedloaders hung up. I took the left hand grip and put it on the end of my Sears Roebuck Belt Sander & rounded out the top. That made a perfect - scoop - so as to allow the speedloader to go right in the cylinder without hanging up. Then I took some #600 sandpaper & sanded the outside of the scooped out portion to blend in with the rest of the grip. Finally some #1200 sandpaper to smooth it out further. Did a slight staining & then put couple coats of Polyurethane over the entire 2 grip sides. We think it looks great. Just a suggestion. Heres a pic of my 649 scooped out.
Carl

The Following 2 Users Like Post: