View Single Post

Old 02-16-2010, 06:04 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,270 Times in 654 Posts
Question .357 magnums shooting .357 magnums

Hey folks,
I am a bit confused over all the talk about the different 357 mag. loads that should or could be shot through my model 65-4 4". Through this forum I have determined it to be a 1990 model. When I bought the gun, the only 357 ammo they had were UMC 125 gr. jacketed soft pts. Those rounds really roared and had significant recoil as well. Then I bought some WWB 110 gr. jacketed hollow pts. marked personal protection and they seemed very light weight by comparison to the UMC's. I have read in several articles that these WWB 110's can damage the forcing cone at the 6 o'clock position. Is this really the case? I keep my guns spotless. I clean and inspect them after every shooting event, which would probably not exceed 20 rnds. I currently have 2 new boxes of these WWB's and hate to toss them if they are not a threat to the well being of my pistol. What .357 mag. round wold be considered to be "safely" shot in my Smith? Seems to me that a S&W handgun should be able to shoot the rounds it was designed to shoot, and do so without failure.

Thank you
Gordon.