View Single Post

Old 02-18-2010, 03:58 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,683 Times in 5,863 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Sorry colt_saa but that is just not factually true. And the fact that S&W makes a J-frame 357 Magnum doesn't mean it's a good idea or that they will hold up.

I'm willing to bet 98%-99% of the J-frame Magnum owners never fire more than a cylinder of magnums through those guns if that much. I have personally seen more than one student in my CCW classes fire the first round or two and quit until they got some 38 Specials. I'm also willing to bet a steady diet of Magnum round, no matter the bullet wieght, will lead to early failure of any of those magnum J-frames.

Dave
Dave,
You can not possibly believe and state with a clear conscience that S&W has ignored the last 55 years of metallurgical, production and technical advancements and is still using the same materials and techniques that were in place in 1955. Of course S&W firearms have become stronger and more durable over the years as advancements are integrated into the manufacturing process.

I apologize to the OP for straying off topic here........

More than 75% of the people that I know who own J-Magnums shoot magnums out of them. A good 25% shoot Magnums exclusively. My own 340PD has had more than 5000 357 Magnum rounds put through it and 0 38 Specials. I have 10,000 - 15,000 full power magnum rounds through all of my J-magnums combined. One of our fellow forum members has more than 7000 through his 340PD so far.

BTW, as an Instructor and Armorer myself, I know many hundreds of owners of J-magnums. I regularly recommend the J-Magnum as a pocket/purse off duty or backup firearm. I have been shooting J-magnums since they came out more than 14 years ago.

I have no doubt that a novice shooter firing a 357 magnum round from a J-frame revolver would be seriously intimidated by the experience. Only a foolish instructor would allow such a event to occur. Something like this could cause severe flinching in a novice or even worse, turn them off to shooting/concealed carry altogether. Part of a good instructor's job is to determine the student's level of skill, experience and exposure to firearms before he/she is allowed to fire a single shot. Then the instructor is responsible to make sure that he/she does not grossly exceed their level/capability during training. As an Instructor for civilians as well as Law Enforcement, I maintain an inventory of model 17s, 14s, 19/66s and 27s so that novice/beginning shooters can be slowly brought along in power increases as their skills and confidence progress.

Out of curiosity, what is your definition of "steady diet" and "early failure"? I would venture to say that 5000-7000 Magnum rounds is well above the average seen by most J-frame Magnums during their service life. I have handled and shot probably a good dozen that are at that point right now and they are in good, safe working condition.
The Following 9 Users Like Post: