View Single Post

Old 02-18-2010, 04:43 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,114 Times in 256 Posts

In 1969 Walt Labaugh, retired Special Forces 1SG, Distinguished Rifle and Pistol, Hunter Safety Instructor and Explorer Post Leader, gets the credit for the bulk. He instilled good basic marksmanship and gun handling skills, which served me well when I went into the US Army and later into Law Enforcement. I held “Expert” qualification in both rifle and pistol while serving my twenty plus years in the US Army.

The US Army Marksmanship Training Unit (USAMTU) polished my skills. In 1974 I qualified for the fifth position on a Battalion Pistol Team, but didn’t improve above that spot. In 1977 I again qualified for the fifth position on another Battalion Team, but this time I also qualified to be taught to be a pistol and revolver instructor by the USAMTU. In those five days of training with the USAMTU Coaches I learned more about precision handgun shooting than most people can imagine.

In both 1978 and 1979 I again qualified for teams, but this time as the top shooter, and both times I made the Division Team.

In 1983 I earned my Excellence in Competition Badge (Pistol), shooting for another Battalion Team.

In 1990 I trained under Jeff Cooper and his staff at Gunsite, greatly improving my practical hand gunning skills.

I’ve attended other trainings since then, and will mention that the Oregon Firearms Academy (OFA) Staff offer excellent instruction at their school (Oregon Firearms Academy LLC).

My LE Academy and Department Firearms Instructors were all good, but not as influential as Walt, the USAMTU, Jeff Cooper (Gunsite), or OFA.

In Pursuit,

Last edited by ASA335; 02-18-2010 at 04:47 PM.