View Single Post

Old 02-20-2010, 02:18 PM
US Veteran

Liked 249 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Old Dave View Post
Not pot-stirring, just an honest question... Why are there so many people that like these things? It's MUCH bigger than a .38 Special needs to be and cost a good bit more than an M&P when new. In 20+ years of collecting, I have seen ONE for sale in East TN. Conversely, you almost trip over 1930s era .32-20s hereabouts. You could have a rifle and pistol to take the same round, and as the old timers say, "Et 32-20'll shewt rat thru a man, son." Until the advent of the .357, the .32-20 was king of handguns in Appalachia. It's not that I don't like N frames, I think a Triple Lock or Wolf and Klaar is one of the most stylish revolvers from the c.1900- c.1940 era. It just seems to me that a .38 don't throw enough lead for what the HD was marketed for. Why get a .38 when you could get a .44 Special, .45LC, or .45ACP M1917? Makes no sense, but I am open to enlightenment.
Sir, I'd bet the police market is why the .38-44 endured so long. Many departments mandated .38 special, effectively taking .44s and .45s out of the running. Also, for a long time the .357 Magnum was too expensive for cops on meager salaries or departments with slim budgets. That changed in the mid-'50s with the advent of S&W's Highway Patrolman and Model 19; from then on, the .38-44's days were numbered.

JMHO, FWIW.

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.