View Single Post

Old 02-24-2010, 12:47 PM
US Veteran

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Suggestion for the envelopes on rebates (I'm a tech for the PO, see it done wrong all the time):

1. Print clearly! I'm amazed at the ****** job a lot of people do. You want it to get there, so make it easy to read. Better yet, run envelope thru your printer.

2. Don't write on the bottom 1/2" on the front of the envelope. When mailpiece gets into the system, it gets a barcode printed on the front. You write on the bottom front, you interfere with the print area, machines can't read it, mail might have to be handled manually, get delayed.

3. Put Scotch tape on the leading and trailing edges for reinforcement. > 99% of mail processing is automated. All machines that handle letter mail have strippers where the mail is inducted into the feeders of the machines. Strippers can sometimes tear the edge that goes in 1st, mail gets goobered. Only happens once in many thousands of letters, but if it's your rebate... hasta la vista rebate!

4. Tape down any flap that isn't glued down after you make with the licking. Envelopes have to make twists & turns as they go thru the machines. That can lift any unsecured flap, and if it happens to be going by a diverter when it does, flap will catch, nasty jam, your mailpiece gets trashed.

5. No lumpy mail! So many people will stick a chunk of cardboard in a letter (e.g. proof of purchase), just begging to get jammed in a machine. Peel off the surface layer with the printing on it you need and staple it to your rebate form. Doesn't apply to this rebate, but just for general knowledge.

6. If it's a big rebate, like for a computer, send it in a small priority mail envelope, w/return receipt. Priority mail is mostly hand processed, if it's a large rebate, worth the few bucks. Stick the rebate in a regular envelope, stamped/prepped as above, in case priority mail envelope does get goobered, the regular one inside will soldier on.

I'm still amazed at the job the processing machines do handling the mail. Blazing speed, banks of computers reading the addys, directing it locally/nationally, sending info ahead to where it will go if outgoing, automatically intercepting/redirecting mail for people who have filed a change of address and sending it to new addy, etc.

But I also pull out thoroughly trashed mailpieces from the machines every night, such is the reality of automation. So you want to try and make your envelope as automation friendly as possible so you get your rebate joy, and as soon as possible.

Put my Sigma rebate in the mail earlier this week, hope the Gomers at the PO don't goober it up.