View Single Post

Old 03-01-2010, 07:22 PM
US Veteran

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCa View Post
There are several loads that live up to (and exceed) what you're discussing. The Silvertip 175g/1250fps, several Cor-Bon 170-180gr loads @1300 fps, etc. It's not the full-throttle defense loads that are lacking, it's the moderate ones.

Shooting a 200-220gr bullet at around 900-1000 fps gets you up to 490 ft-lbs. Coupled with a large hole I think that's persuasive. Plus you've minimized the recoil to allow a fast follow-up shot if it's necessary.

Add to it, that in an urban area, a heavy bullet moving > 1250 fps can go a long way and penetrate a lot of things if you miss. That's a worry we could do without.
There's nothing wrong with your thinking, Bill. My .44 is a heck of a handfull with full house loads and definately not for everyone.

You're right, as far as traditional handgun loads go, the midrange .44 spls. are nothing to scoff at. I'll reexamine the caliber and the loads listed since I have a fallible memory and you've set off my curiousity. I still would like to see lighter bullets yet so as to get more rifle-like action from the cartridge (and minimize overpenetration as you have mentioned above) , but the way most shooters obsess over heavy bullets, that ain't gonna happen. The lighter hotrod loads available in .41 magnum are really midweights IMO.

Jellybean, I would put lots of cash on a bet that a hot loaded .41 XTP is a super overpenetrator. It would work well for hunting though.