View Single Post

Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,256 Times in 4,863 Posts

I'm almost afraid to wade into this! This gun, as several have said, is so typical of refinished cop guns that were nearly a dime a dozen in the late-70s and early-80s that it seems the chances of it being even a mismarked specimen are small. But there is another possibility that I have not seen mentioned. The gun very easily could be a combination of both stainless and carbon steel parts. For example, could not the frame indeed be a 19-3 that has been hard chromed, and have a later stainless cylinder, or any combination of parts? (We see it appears to have flash chromed hammer and trigger.)

If it was serviced by a department armorer who was either working with what he had, or responding to the requests of the individual officer, this is another possibility. I seem to recall seeing several 19s that had had 66 cylinders installed by local armorers, but I am to the place where I do not trust my "memory" like I used to.

It is going to be hard to get to the bottom of this without someone knowledgeable having the revolver in-hand, who can inspect it. Maybe Mr. Jinks was thinking of this when he said a letter might not be much help, and he may have been too much of a gentleman to say it.

To me, the fact that the parts appear to have been marked, as would be typical for an after-market plating job, indicate there is little doubt the gun has been refinished. All a letter will state is what the records show the gun once was, when it left the factory. Again, as others have said, in spite of that, STILL a nice and useful revolver.