View Single Post

Old 03-05-2010, 11:55 PM
US Veteran

Liked 308 Times in 108 Posts
Default Advice needed on a Leather problem

Poking around in my storage locker I found a vintage Bianchi holster for a 6" K frame that I had put up a few years back. The first thing I noticed was a whitish 'mold' had appeared to have grown all over it. Very nasty looking and chalky feeling.
I bought the holster used probably 15 years ago and can't vouch if it had gotten damp before I owned it, but I do remember rubbing saddle soap into it at least once. None of the other holsters in the cabinet have this problem. I'm wondering if it stems from an initial problem with the tanning process or maybe at one time got damp and put up and now the mold is coming from the inside out.
I'm going to put it outside in the sunshine tomorrow in an attempt to kill the mold, but from there I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can put on this to stop this process or do you all think it is just a lost cause.
The leather itself feels kind of soft so I'm wondering if it has just been degraded to the point of no return.
Any help/advice is appreciated.
RD