View Single Post

Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 PM

Liked 178 Times in 78 Posts

You have to think of the HD and OD in terms of the Weatherby Vs Nitro Express discussion. If you were you a velocity/light bullet fan, you picked up a Heavy Duty for your sidearm, if not you probably went for a Triple lock .44 with a heavier bullet and moderate velocity. I think the HD is one of the best fighting revolvers ever made, it just seems point naturally and balances out perfect for me, especially the 4" ones like Tom posted above. To me (probably only to me) the Outdoorsman is more pleasing to the eye than the Reg. Mags. If you are doing extended shooting I prefer the N frame .38; it's a man sized gun and cartridge with little recoil (unless you run across some old HV rounds HOT). Dave is correct in his assessment of Appalachia's affinity for the 32-20, my grandfather purchased one (a Smith of course) before he went to work in the Little River Logging Camps in the Smokies, and later carried it when he worked on the trolleys in Knoxville (his was nickle, with Pearl Grips, "for Friday and Saturday night duty").