View Single Post

Old 03-21-2010, 12:58 AM

Liked 71 Times in 32 Posts

bmcgilvray,
Yep, if pure penetration will do it, this blunt-nosed heavyweight should get the job done. Also, assuming the Beartooth "permanent wound channel" predictive model is relatively accurate, I'm assuming the actual wound channel of the 358430 might look more like .41 instead of .36. And if you hit bone, I expect the BG goes down.

Once I get the group buy 200g LSWC mold thru Cast Boolits in August, I can't wait to see what that bullet will do for this cartridge! I think the bumped LFN is pretty hard-hitting, but expect the SWC to be even more so. Also, I'll experiment over Spring Break with some 40:1 and/or 30:1 Pb:tin alloy to see if the softer bullet will deform markedly on impact. If so, I'll balance out the diameter of wound channel with remaining penetration & see what I want to use.

BTW, I'm trying to put together something with Brassfetcher testing. If he'll do the testing in .38 SPL loaded to .38 S&W vels, then I'll have to pay only for his material costs--he's interested in doing the test & will donate his time. I'll contact him again soon & see what firms up. If we can do a gelatin test with LRN, bumped LFN, and perhaps each one in two different alloys, it will be interesting to see how the bullet reacts in that tissue simulant.