View Single Post

Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

kensnra,
You had asked if anyone knew of a pistolsmith that could do such a conversion. Jim Stroh the owner of Alpha Precision (Alpha Precision - Custom gunsmithing at it's finest.) did a similar project for me. Jim does all the work himself and he does an excellent work.
I started with a 681, the titanium cylinder out of a 296 and the barrel from a 686 Mountain Gun. Clearwater Reboring (Delta Gun Shop / Clearwater Reboring) bored the barrel out then Jim fit the pieces together. You will also need a hand from a 696 or 296 to advance the five shot cylinder. I had Jim shorten the barrel to about 3", just past the extractor rod shroud. I owned the 296 that the cylinder was removed from because I could only get a stainless cylinder from Smith and Wesson. The stainless cylinder added weight to the 296, the fellow I sold the 296 was very happy with it and said it shot well, another testament to Jim's work.
When that was done I sent the frame to Roy Fishpaw for a pair of French Walnut grips. This is my one of my most favorite revolvers and I will never part with it.

This certainly is not an inexpensive route but I am sure glad with the pistol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 681 small.jpg (36.6 KB, 121 views)