View Single Post

Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 241 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Ruger does with my KP-95DC, and so does HK with my USP 9. KelTec says some use of +P is OK in my P-11. It will wear out faster, but has a lifetime warranty.

I ask S&W about +P in my 439, and they said not approved. The guy did say it won't cause it to fly apart with the first round fired though. VERY ocassional use is fine.
I have not seen the Ruger manual you are talking about (it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though or haven't seen something). The P95 manuals posted online basically say that if it is loaded to factory/SAAMI/NATO specs it will be fine.

To clarify my earlier response, I believe S&W is being cautious with this warning. The 59 series has been proven to be reliable with any ammo fed to it. However, the ultimate answer is up to each person shooting. I am willing fire +P+ on occasion, but is not usually every session and not a lot of rounds. For full time range work I, personally wouldn't shoot only +P and +P+ rounds. I think I would stick with about 5% or less being a non-standard pressure. This is mainly to keep it runing longer, kind of like not running a car constantly just below its red line. Sure, it can take it, but it will reduce the mileage.

Last edited by FirebirdV8; 03-23-2010 at 08:39 PM.