Thread: 640 +p+ rated
View Single Post

Old 03-27-2010, 01:00 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default +P+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aHFo3 View Post
Sorry, no pics on this one.

I recently had dinner with my aunt and uncle. My uncle showed me his seldom carried, seldom fired 640 no dash. I drooled and admired the smooth trigger pull. The barrel isn't marked +p, but under the cylinder on the frame it is stamped "rated +P+"

Is that a common marking for this gun? I believe the serial is CEJXXXX.

Thanks for the info.
I've read that there is no industry standard for +P+ .38 Special ammunition, but I don't have an authoritative link for you.

On the other hand, according to Smith & Wesson's manual for modern revolvers, +P+ should not be used in a S&W revolver.

Quote:
“Plus-P-Plus (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith & Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated.
Given S&W's blanket condemnation of +P+ and the lack of an industry standard for +P+ I am very surprised that your uncle's revolver is marked "rated +P+." I'd like to see a photo of the frame marking.