View Single Post

Old 04-04-2010, 08:36 PM
US Veteran

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
I recently attended a firearm conference given by State Troopers that are trainers in firearms. One point they brought out was the danager in having a firearm in reach of the bed.

During sleep someone may be effected by any of several issues such as nightmares, sudden noises (here it is limbs falling on the roof), and movements. They discussed how many accidental shootings there are each year where some person was half a sleep and woke with movement in the darkened room, thinking it was an intruder they grab the gun and fire. Had they had to get up and walk a couple steps to get their gun, they would have found the person was a family member getting a drink from the kitchen, making a trip to the bathroom or other such things.
I agree very strongly. Everyone is different, but in my case, I can be very aggressive when startled while sleeping. Also like many on this forum, I live a life where I handle guns constantly, so even not fully awake, I can get a gun into action extremely fast. In fact, too fast to be safe. I keep a shotgun leaning against the side of my safe about 10 feet from where I'm sleeping and I have to rack it to chamber a round. Sleep walkers might not be safe even with my system and would perhaps need to do more to ensure that they can't start shooting until they have their wits about them. Sorry for the thread drift, but I feel this is very important and shouldn't go unsaid.

As for a 6" barrel being easier to wrest from the lady than a 4"er, my guess is that a man of average strength would likely get the 4" gun about as easily as the longer tube from an average woman.