View Single Post

Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

Okay, I am the other side of the coin. Yes full house loads in a .44 mag are more powerfull----- if you need them. If you hand load you can load up the special to do probley 90% of what most people buy a mag for.
So why am I defending the special if a mag will shoot specials and mags too? Because EXCEPT FOR THE SOMWHAT HARD TO FIND MOUNTAIN GUNS, the specials are less weight, less bulk, and more of a sweetheart to pack. That is because the specials have a thinner "pencil" barrel and shorter clyinders.
I own a mag and many .44 specials. 45 colt too. I load my specials to where you can hardly tell the difference from the 45 colt.
Seldom, if ever, in the real world do I think you realisticly need the extra power of a mag over what you can load the special or 45 colt up to.
Except for that maybe 1% of the time, you can lug a club around, or a sweetheart!
I dont have a .44 mag model 29 mountain gun, but since that is almost the same size as a 24-3 special, I conceed that would be the best of both worlds------- If you can find one.
The Following User Likes This Post: