View Single Post

Old 04-15-2010, 07:35 PM

Liked 3,889 Times in 1,361 Posts

Neat thread that got resurrected. I must have missed it the first time around. I bought a number of guns from WWG up in Anchorage over the internet. They sold me two neat old Alaskan bear guns, a cut down Remington Model 11 from long, long ago (still has the safety in the trigger guard) and a cut down and reblued Winchester Model 12 that left the factory in 1919. They also sold me a neat old 1975 Colt SP-1 that I never should have traded. The latter is interesting. I'm told that the white guys have big bores, but the natives tend to just carry around .223s and have been using ARs for years against bears. One large polar bear, or polar grizzly hybrid or some such, was featured on Monster Quest. The native that killed it used his personal full auto M16 and riddled it. That's one way to accomplish it.

Anyway, if someone is moving to Alaska permanently, Class III weapons are perfectly legal. While I'd have WWG customize a Guide Gun with their mods for better extraction and so on, they also offer cut down "hawg's leg" versions that aren't much bulkier than a large pistol. Short Barreled Rifles and shotguns are available for the tax stamp, though I'm told that out in the boonies people don't generally bother with the tax stamp... Shrug. If a long gun is too troublesome to carry as is, simply modify one into a "whippet gun".

Something else no one mentioned that one could play with is a conversion barrel for the G20 that turns it into a 9x25mm Dillon.