View Single Post

Old 04-17-2010, 05:31 AM

Liked 394 Times in 221 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk18 View Post
By design they will last a long time, I remember S&W testing alloy frames by running approx. 30,000 rounds through a 9mm without any major issues. At the same time each individual gun may be different based on possible manufacturing or materials defects, ammo used, how well or poorly the gun is treated, how often maintenance is performed (including spring changes), etc., etc. It would not surprise me to find a 3rd Gen that has pushed past the 50,000 round mark.
In Jan of 1980, Guns and Ammo did a '5000 round torture test' of S&W model 59.

They used ammunition supplied by S&W, with their brand on the boxes; I can't remember who used to make the S&W 'brand name' ammunition.

The ammunition was standard pressure 115gr. JHP (1000 rounds) and 115 gr. FMJ (4000 rounds).

Before the Model 59 got to the 5000 round mark, a piece of the alloy frame which contained one of the barrel unlocking lugs broke off the frame. The piece was about the size of a nickel.

That being said, I put over 30,000 rounds of my cast lead reloads through my S&W Model 59. I never replaced the recoil spring: I didn't know you were supposed to.

The frame on my Model 59 exhibited considerable wear: the slide to frame fit was noticeably 'loose'.

Still, although the dealer commented on it, I was able to trade it towards a 659 for more than I paid for it! I was pretty happy about that.

Bottom line: an alloy frame probably isn't going to last as long as a pistol with a steel/ stainless steel.

But with proper care, if you don't go crazy like I did with my Model 59, you should get a pretty high round count out of a metal framed S&W semiautomatic pistol.

Also: now when I take my semiautos to the range, I use a silicone and teflon light grease on ALL of the major wear points: frame rails, unlocking lugs, locking lugs, barrel hood, etc. etc.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: