Thread: Ft. Hood Report
View Single Post

Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Liked 3,889 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHAWKNJ View Post
My last year on active duty, 1970-1971 in Germany, we didn't carry our weapons on guard duty. Firearms went out of fashion in the Army in the 1970s and 1980s, ....
Also with the feminzation of the military in the 1990s firearms were seen as a sign of an over aggressive macho mentality. I have been told that dependent wives were often given veto power over their spouses keeping firearms at home, people who tried to revive rifle and pistol teams were slapped down by their superiors.

I'm a military dependent, currently living on base. Guards at all the bases that I've been on were armed. Either MP/SPs or Federal Police. M9s at a min, and often M4s, M16A4s and those neat new Benellis that the Marines had. For a while, the guards at Quantico were even wearing their armor. Even on family day here when the guards are wearing dress uniforms, they still have their M9s.

Army training these days has changed to where people carry their M4s around with them and wear their armor during training. The Marines are still sleeping with their rifles, though I don't know if they have a girl's name in training.

There were rifle and pistol clubs at all the Marine bases that I've been on or that my wife served on. They sell guns and tactical gear at the Exchange. Mostly ARs and black guns, with FN 5,7 pistols being increasingly popular.

No one mentioned that I, as a spouse, had any veto power about a gun in the house.

No one searches me going on and off base either. Occaisionally they do random searches, but except if one is going near the DEA/FBI and Presidential Air Wing side at Quantico, proper ID results in a wave through.

Women both serving and dependents are frequently seen as customers at the gun counter here. Most of the staff working it are women. Jane Wayne days are held to let the spouses, presumed to be female in most cases, go put on armor and shoot M16s.

I haven't seen things appear all the feminized, and as one of the rare non prior service male spouses of a female service member, I think that I'd probably notice.