View Single Post

Old 04-21-2010, 12:28 PM

Liked 6,562 Times in 2,597 Posts

If some one breaks in and I'm home there will be a Sig 40 or a 27 loaded with 38 Police +P's. I will not take time to locate or put on hearing protection, the perp(s) will need to have their affairs in order.

I've shot most of my life, starting at 8 years of age. I fired thousands of 22 LR in rifles and and a 4 5/8 Ruger when young. I shot a Colt 1911 on a pistol team. No protection. Early in in my 20's when shooting High power rifles I started wearing muffs and with pistols. About this time my dad's hearing was going, he fired untold amounts of 30-06 and his favorite upclose gun was a Thompson in WW2, seeing what was happening to dad really made up my mind to use muffs when using the chain saw and any type of target shooting. When I was a deputy I used to squirrel hunt with my 4" Python and 38 wad cutters. Head shots only. One day I got real smart and decided to use 357's to hunt to help get ready for qualifications. I used a tree for a rest on the first shot. No protection. I remember it well, the tree was not round, it was a half moon curve. The blast from the 357 hurt both ears and there was severe pain. From that moment on in 1980 my tenninitis grew louder. That is one shot I want back. Oneshot.... I had my hearing tested 3 weeks ago. It is not quite yet degraded enough to get hearing aides, but real close. I do hear LOUD RINGING all the time. I highly recomend hearing protection for use around loud noise, I bought my dad and brother muffs. I've taught my kids and wife to shoot, no one pulls a trigger on targets without protection. Since 1980, I've fired 1000's of rifle rounds, shot on skeet and trap teams, I've shot competitively in sporting clays. I wore muffs 100% of the time, I don't think I've lost any more hearing since the shot with the Python. But; I can't hear deer walking in leaves 30 yards away, I struggle to hear my mild voiced wife at times, I have to ask some folks to speak louder.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: