View Single Post

Old 04-24-2010, 09:34 AM

Liked 385 Times in 222 Posts

I never shot any of the Buffalo Bore .38 Special loads over the chrono but I was able to break 1100 FPS with 158 gr. SWC handloads in my short SP-101. I am reluctant to try to achieve this same velocity in my Model 60-7 .38 Special. Also, I have just learned that the powder I use for this load is inverse temperature sensitive so I need to be very careful at the upper limits.

Another great 9mm load in the 940 is the 147 gr. Gold Dot loaded to 1076 FPS. This is a pretty impressive load for a pocket gun. I don't know if anybody factory loads an equivalent. A few outfits make some stout 147 gr. loads but I don't know if they can match the velocity I'm getting in my 940 or if they'd extract.

All said and done, I think the .38 Special is always going to have a slight edge in power over the 9mm but the difference is practically insignificant in a 2" barrel. The 9mm is definitely the bright shining star in the 2" revolver. Some shooters are converting their J Frames to .38 Super, 9x21 and .356 TSW. Another interesting consideration with my heavy handloads is that I have gotten to the point with the 9mm where increasing the powder charges does not yield any higher velocity. It looks like I have actually reached the point of diminishing return and a 2" barrel simply can not burn any more powder. Cartridges like the .38 Super and .38 Special will handle heavier bullets, but if you want to use 124 to 147 gr. bullets it looks like the 9mm might actually be the best performing cartridge of all.

Dave Sinko
The Following User Likes This Post: