View Single Post

Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 1,226 Times in 358 Posts

Aloha,

The Wife has told me to Stop buying 41 mag guns. She says I have too many.....

I will admit that I do have a "few"

I have more 41 ammo than all the local gun stores here. All have very few boxes(if any) or none at all. I cleaned out one gun store of ALL their 41 cal heads. They had a sale and I told them to make me a deal I couldn't refuse. They did and I got their entire inventory of 41 jacketed heads. I also bought, I think, the last cast heads from another store. Not sure if he brought any more in as the 41 is/was a very slow seller.

Casting heads are the best way to go for shooting the 41. I have over a half dozen different molds. Including one or two using gas checks. Yep, got them too. Don't know if gas checks for the 41 are still availible.....

I do have a half a case or so of NIB factory loads. I find them to be a bit on the "blasty" side.

I've loaded the 41 so weak that 38 spl were stronger. And then, full magnum loads are less irritating than full 44 magnum loads.

Is the 41 obsolete? No, I don't think so. It's a thinking man's cartridge, as one gun wag put it. It can do a lot of things better than a lot of other cartridges and calibers. Can be reloaded to equal a 38 spl or almost a 44 mag.
Course, I also like the 44 spl and 45 (Long) Colt too.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: