View Single Post

Old 04-25-2010, 07:11 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 46,149 Times in 4,871 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig View Post
I am a bit surprised at how so many replies indicate disastrous effects to the value from the factory refinish and barrel cutting. I thought that I had read that work done by the factory, particularly if it was done a long time ago, had a minimal effect of value. Plus, a 4" gun is much more interesting to me than is a 6" version but this just shows why I am no expert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig View Post
Problem is I don't know what the "right price" might be.
SP:

I just went back and re-read the whole thread. I don't think that the trip back to the factory and reblue for a duty gun, (given the fact that all of the UTHP RM's went back for the same treatment) would detract from the value in this case. I do think that the replacement hammer is a much bigger detraction to the value. I believe that one of the biggest issues with value is that the "investment grade" collectors of RM's (the guys willing to pay the big bucks) are looking for the highest condition guns (and related goodies) that are out there and those are the RM's that will command top dollar.

In my opinion the UTHP RMs may appeal to a different segment of collector - one who enjoys having a gun with some history and an "in use" connection to a period of history where the 357 was the biggest and baddest handgun available. However, these collectors often times are not willing to pay the same price that the investment guys are willing to pay.

My question to you would be, what do you think it is worth? If you want to see if your thoughts are close to the market - post it for sale on the forum at a price that you would be willing to part with it. Post that you will entertain offers and see what the market says.

Last edited by RKmesa; 04-25-2010 at 07:13 PM.