View Single Post

Old 04-27-2010, 03:14 PM

Liked 37 Times in 14 Posts
Default 39-2 OEM magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueeast View Post
I am toying with the idea of getting a 9mm. From what I read here, nothing but good reports on the 39-2. I've never held one though. Everyone writes how good it feels in your hand. Is it comparable to a Browning HP or 1911 size wise? or bigger? Also, I'm getting the vibe to stay away from any mags unless they're factory S&W, is this true? Thanks.
I shoot a 39-2 in the production class at my range...this means unless I use an aftermarket mag I'm limited to 8 rounds. I've used several OEM 10-rounders that need to "blueprinted" to work reliably. The typical problem is either the height of the latch cut or the overall width of the magazine being too thin and wobbling around in the well. The cut can be adjusted easily with a die grinder and good care. The width can be adjusted by "peening" them outward internally with a 1/2" wide bar that fits into the disassembled magazine body. You can carefully "widen" the body by forming it carefully and testing it's fit in the well.

Ultimately the 39-2 is among the most natural pointers I've ever shot and that includes the 1911 platform, although I expect hate mail for that heresy...