View Single Post

Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 PM

Liked 1,719 Times in 549 Posts
Default What exactly is a "Collector"?

This question was brought to mind by a couple threads lately and my own not so clear understanding of what qualifies as being a "collector".

By most standards I see talked about here, real collectors go for the pristine guns, with little or no wear or signs of use and preferably with the original box and tools. Original paperwork seems to add to the value and desirability. Add to that guns of proven or historical provenance too.

There have been a couple of discussions about re-finishing, cutting barrels and otherwise altering guns and many seem to think this destroys the "collector value".

I've pretty well come to the conclusion I must not be a collector, maybe an accumulator or just an enthusiasts. I can't stand the idea of not shooting a gun so I avoid the pristine ones...can't afford them anyway, LOL. And recently I've decided, having a gun the way I want it rather than the way it was shipped from the factory is not a great sin, particularly since I'm not going to be chopping up, re-barreling or re-bluing any of those "as new in the box" examples anyway.

Not looking for an argument and not knocking anyone's approach to their gun hobby, just bringing up a subject I've been giving some thought to and wondering what others here have to say.

Dave