View Single Post

Old 04-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

Liked 154 Times in 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofthebeach View Post

At least two posters in the threads that I mentioned at the start of this thread claimed to have lost a significant part of their hearing, and one of them claims to have a constant ringing in his ears which is so bad that he can't sleep...and these posters claimed that these symptoms resulted from exposure to just a few rounds of .357 being lit off in a shooting range setting.
I do take your post seriously and have given this subject some thought over the years.

I don't doubt the posters who have hearing loss from firing a .357 without protection. However, a range scenario is different than the home. I don't live in a cinder block shanty devoid of carpet, furnishings and wall coverings. All that stuff absorbs sound to a certain degree and makes it much less devastating on the hearing. I have been inside a home, in fact, in the room, when a .45acp round went off. Granted, it was sub-sonic unlike a .357, but it was not nearly as loud as many would expect. My hearing was not affected to any extent, either short term or these many years later.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.