View Single Post

Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 AM

Liked 3,889 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtdvm View Post
I have my father's .222 Sako Vixen and saw him use it when he was stationed in Germany, (61-64) on the small deer, Reh(Roe), there. Even with the SP bullets of that era, blew a 3-4" hole through the chest cavity.
I have used the Vixen on squirrels. No reason to remove the head from the carcass as the bullet has done that for you.
I would guess it will do everything a .223 would do but not quite as far out. Others here will probably provide more information.
The guy I got it from did mention having used it on deer, and claimed that SC deer did get up to 200 pounds on occaision and weren't all runts like the swamp deer that I've been seeing. He's not from this state originally, so I wasn't sure if clause A and B were related since I don't even know if centerfire .22s are legal for deer here.

The .375 that I got with the 700 in the trade is the one I really wanted initially and I call that my alligator gun. There's just something about that old 700 though that makes me like it. Guess some guns are just like an old pair of boots, comfy for being warm. Even better, one can get guns already worn and comfy be somewhat else, and unlike boots in the same situation, not have to worry about getting athlete's foot....