View Single Post

Old 05-07-2010, 02:07 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 774 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by old tanker View Post
I have an absolutely gorgeous S&W Model 1955 Target that with lovingly crafted match grade wadcutters will not keep a group on a No. #3 washtub at 50 yards. Despite having been back to the factory, it is still a disappointment.

My best friend has a 1937 Brazilian Navy contract Model 1917 Smith that looks like it spent half its life in the bilge of a submarine. Shooting his revolver with an odd lot mix of leftover GI hardball, I repeatedly hit his mailbox at 80 meters. (Boy, did we ever catch hell from his wife over that!)

It wouldn't be so annoying if the damn Model 25 wasn't such a nice looking gun. (and he wouldn't trade either.)
Check the throats in your gun. I'd bet good money that they are in the neighborhood of .456"- .458". A lot of 25-2's and 25-5's are plagued with oversized throats, but they can be made to shoot with the right bullets.

Buying cast bullets that are sized to as close as possible to your guns throats, or the soft swaged factory bullets made by Remington and Winchester should help tremendously. They are .455" and .456" respectively, with shallow hollow bases that obturate and fit the throats to aid in accuracy. Just seat as normal and go to town.