View Single Post

Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 AM

Liked 285 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonPig View Post
Your test was anecdotal at best, but some guns feel better in an individual hand than do others and we tend to shoot them a bit better.

At the risk of offending the S&W gods I would note that the older Colts used a tapering bore that ran a tad tighter than did the S&W barrels. These barrels were made for the lead bullets that were the order of the day 30+ years ago and generally speaking the Colts shot better than the Smiths. Look at any old photo of a "bullseye" match and notice all the Colts on the firing line with nary a S&W in sight.
As far as being comfortable, the large target grips of the Highway Patrolman feel more "snug" in my large hands than the service grips of my Official Police.

I know this isn't a perfect test by any stretch of the imagination. Getting out on a deck downhill shooting 50 ft away on and offhand with two different guns isn't the most professional setting.

In regard to the bullet used in the magnum, they were 158 gr semi-jacketed soft nose bullets

I am almost scared to ask this, but 5 years ago my highway patrolman was shaving semi-jacket off the side of bullets and binding against the force cone right after I bought it used. A gunsmith fixed it. He also widened the force cone a little to give the gun more accuracy, said I'd be ablet to shoot groupings the size of a quarter. Back then after testing the gun it seemed to be okay, didn't notice a huge difference, but then I figured I would improve over time. Haven't had much of a chance to actually sit down and rest the gun on anything.

Anyway, could this gunsmith's widening the force cone have done irreversable damage to the gun?