View Single Post

Old 05-08-2010, 01:20 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,723 Times in 2,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog View Post
Mr. Wilson,
Your gun looks good to me! You've got me wondering, now, though? My gun is #100881. Seems to me that it might not be a 1950? Of course, I suppose they could have shipped 800 or more that month? Thanks for the info!
Dick
I turned the cylinder so the bad spot is on the back side; like a vain actor who sidles up to a camera in only one way, this guns looks better from one direction than the other!

With that S/N, I think your gun would be either very late 1950 or early 1951. The thing to remember is that S&W had no policy that forced guns to ship in serial number order; once they were completed, they just went into inventory. When orders came in, boxed guns were pulled without reference to serial number. While it is generally true that earlier numbered guns went out before later numbered guns, short of a factory letter there is no way to tell exactly when a specific gun was shipped. In some cases, a lower-numbered gun would leave the factory months or even a couple of years after a higher-numbered gun.