View Single Post

Old 05-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Liked 177 Times in 50 Posts

there is something just very... as the French say " I dont know what" about them. i just passed on a pre 64 in .264 for under 1k recently. I went back a few weeks later and its gone of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALADIN85020 View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but here are the reasons I love the old Model 70s:

1. Hand craftsmanship. These rifles were in fact virtually hand made. This was prior to CNC machining and metal injection molding. If the parts didn't fit quite right, a highly trained, skilled and experienced workman mated them until they did, and perfectly. Careful boring, chambering and barrel straightening, all by eye and by hand. The stock was fitted to the barreled action carefully. Such caring hand labor is not available today. Not only would it be prohibitively expensive in labor cost today, but the skill of those workmen died with them.

2. Controlled round feeding. No chance of a double feed on a short stroke. The round slipped up under the massive Mauser-style non-rotating extractor very quickly in the forward stroke. You could load a round into the chamber with the rifle canted or even upside down. This translates into reliability.

3. Detailing. The stock was hand-finished and hand checkered. The bluing was perfect. Good old-fashioned quality control was exercised. The rifle was checked out thoroughly, proofed and test fired for accuracy. No rifle left the factory unless it was perfect.

4. Accuracy. It's a rare Model 70 that will not put all its shots into 1 inch at 100 yards with most factory ammunition. With handloads it will do even better.

5. Accessories. Because it was the de facto standard for bolt action hunting rifles for so many years, scope bases, mounts and other add-ons were and are readily available.

6. That magnificent trigger. It was simplicity itself, easily adjustable by the user, and when locked down, it didn't vary from that point on. Like breaking a thin glass rod when squeezed. This alone contributed mightily to accuracy.

7. The ahead-of-its-time safety lever. It had three positions: Fire, locked but allowing bolt movement, and locked up solid with no bolt movement allowed. It was simple, easily manipulated under a scope, and observable. It's been widely copied on expensive prestige rifles such as the Kimber today.

8. Easy takedown and maintenance. It was as easy to clean as any battle rifle. The bolt could be disassembled without tools in the field. It was rare when a part failed, but if one did, parts were and still are available everywhere.

9. Factory options. If you wanted a deluxe model, you got it. If you wanted it chambered in .458 OMG, you got it. If you wanted it engraved, you got it. Special stock dimensions and configuration? You got it. The factory would lean over backward to please its customers. Some of those old special-manufacture rifles are worth fortunes today.

10. Operability and ergonomics. The action is exceedingly smooth, hand-honed at the factory, and gets smoother with use. The bolt handle knob is positioned right over the trigger for quick grasping on repeat shots. The magazine contents can be dumped quickly with the press of a button to the rear of the magazine. The safety is positioned for quick operation and operates silently. The sights come to the eye easily on mounting the rifle to the shoulder. The stock is hefty enough for a firm grasp, yet slim enough to save weight.

11. Classic lines. The rifle, taken as a whole, with all its combined features and lines, was just plain beautiful. From the sweep of its front sight, the bolstered rear sight, the stock, the matte-finished receiver contrasting with the polished blue barrel, the swept-back bolt handle, right down to the buttplate or recoil pad, the rifle was a looker. It was a Ferrari in a garage full of Ford sedans.

12. Pride of ownership. The Model 70 was known as "The rifleman's rifle" for good reason. There wasn't a gun expert from the 1930s through 1964 that didn't praise this rifle. It was the standard by which all others were judged. Sure, there have been other excellent rifles since. I own two Remington 700s, and I like them fine. But the one sporting centerfire rifle in my rack that I love and will always be able to rely on is my pre-'64 Winchester Model 70.

I hope this helps to explain the mystique of this magnificent rifle.

John
what he said !