View Single Post

Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 AM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,413 Times in 3,291 Posts

Why would S&W start using "stronger steel" with the beginning of the model numbers? The +P was still 30 years away at that point and nobody was having any problems with the available ammo. S&W didn't do things for fun, especially expensive material changes. I do not believe S&W made any changes to their guns when model numbers appeared other than stamping the numbers.

Stiab, sorry. Let me correct myself. Member Stiab suggests being aware of what S&W has to say about +P. Better? I would add that S&W (like most corporations) is paralyzed with fear of lawsuits and will always recommend excessive caution in ammo selection. They do this on advice of counsel to protect themselves.

I have brochures printed by S&W in the 1970s offering ammo for sale that far, far exceeded current +P pressures and velocities. But that was before civil attorneys made such things impossible to sell. Below is copied the text regarding S&W ammo from my rather lengthy treatise on P+. Compare the velocity on that 125 load to the current +P's 925 FPS.

"I have a copy of the specifications for S&W/Fiocchi ammo that was packaged with new guns that appears to have been printed in 1970. It lists the 158 lead .38 Special load at 910 FPS. It also includes a 158 JHP at 1140 FPS (equaling the mighty 38/44 load), a 125 JHP at 1380 FPS and a 110 at 1390 FPS."

Apparently in 1970 S&W saw nothing wrong with these loads (any of which makes the current +P load look exactly like what it is: a total wimp) but now they worry about the feeble and anemic +P in a gun made in the 1970s. Why the change? Ask their lawyers.

djohns6- The +P means increased chamber pressure for added velocity. But +P is marketing hype and a myth. The +P is only +P when compared to the truly pathetic standard ammo they now offer.