View Single Post

Old 05-09-2010, 02:06 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,413 Times in 3,291 Posts

OK, assuming you are right, a 20% discount from 1380 still leaves it at over 1,100 FPS or 175 FPS over the much feared +P at 925. Anyway you slice it there was ammo being offered in the 1960s and 1970s that was considerably hotter than current +P and nobody was fussing about it.

The same situation occurs in the reloading manuals. Through the early 1970s many loads were listed for the 38 Special that duplicated the 38/44 and some that took the 125 bullets to 1,300+ FPS (from an actual 6" barrel according to the published info). I have used these loads and gotten similar results in my guns so I believe them to be close to accurate. By around 1980 these top loads start to vanish from the books and the maximum loads drop year by year until they reach the current anemic levels. The same liability fears that fuel the gun and ammo companies drive the publishers of reloading manuals.

We've been over all of this before. More than once. Believe what you like. Do what you think is best. I have researched this issue extensively and feel that I know the facts. But I will add the following to my conclusions:

"S&W Forum member Stiab disagrees with these findings."