View Single Post

Old 05-09-2010, 03:57 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,415 Times in 3,291 Posts

Both Colt and S&W advertised that their medium frame revolvers could shoot 38/44 ammo. This is probably not a good idea in the long run but then again a member here (wish I could recall who) posted that between 1958-1960 he fired 2,000 rounds of factory 38/44 through his 1958 Model 10 duty weapon without incident. Also note that Elmer Keith wrote of shooting 38/44s in an alloy Chiefs Special in 1955 without harm to the gun. I would not do that but he did and got away with it.

Stiab- Yes, the advertised velocities back in the 1970s and earlier were optimistic and sometimes blatantly inflated. But not as much as some would think. I have shot the older ammo (as have others) and the actual velocities were 1) not all THAT much lower than claimed and 2) much higher than the current 730 FPS for standard 158 loads.

Bottom line: I am convinced that +P is hype. It is actually a very mild load. It poses ZERO threat of damage to a quality made gun built since gun steel has been properly tempered (I use 1930 as my date). All the concern expressed over +P is ridiculous and irrational.