View Single Post

Old 05-11-2010, 01:47 AM

Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts

All the joking aside, just out of curiosity, what does the group think a weapon that can be verified to have been personally owned and used by a SEAL who served three years in RVN and then went on to a 20 year career with the CIA be worth?

It happens to be a Colt Lightweight Commander with a very old set of MMC sights and almost no finish left, plus scrapes, gouges, etc. in the metal from when it hit God-knows-what (or who). I verified the serial number indicating the Colt was made and shipped right before this gentleman shipped out for Vietnam in the mid-60s. The MMC sights appear to date from later, possibly the 70s.

And, for those doubting thomases out there, I saw two of the man's CIA IDs (one signed by George Bush from when he was Director of the CIA - long before he was President), and bought a BUNCH of his other personal collection weapons from his brother. Got the whole backstory on his brother, including what SEAL team, dates of service, and dates of service in the CIA. The other weapons were things of personal interest, as (like many of us) he was a gun appreciator, but the Colt he carried on or near his person (and kept as his loaded defense gun after he retired) throughout his 26+ year career. I know it's "been places."

I'm working on collecting the CIA ID cards as well, but for now the brother considers them family heirlooms, and I can't blame him one bit...

So, any idea on value of a genuine CIA-operative-owned-and-used weapon? Feel free to comment on value with and without the two CIA ID cards as well.