View Single Post

Old 05-14-2010, 11:57 PM

Liked 630 Times in 357 Posts

If you want to ease into this without lots of initial expense, consider buying a Lee hand press and Lee dies. This is great tool capable of manufacturing quality ammo, albeit at a slower pace than with machines like the Dillon progressives, which in inexperienced hands are capable of making lots of bad ammo in a hurry, and causing considerable aggravation. The slow and steady, one step at a time process of loading with the handpress or single stage benchmounted tool provides a good learning opportunity, without the aggravation of learning to operate an elaborate and sometimes finicky tool, along with the ammo manufacturing process. One thing I've come to like about the handheld press is that I can use it wherever I wish, i.e., am not tied to a bench in the garage or basement, etc. You could easily make ammo while camping in your A-liner. You'll still need some basic tools, case tumbler, powder scale & trickler (get some of the Lee dipper measures if you go this route), Lee Auto-Prime tool or etc., calipers for measuring OAL of cases, deburring tool, eventually a case trimming device, etc., but you'll need most of these things anyway you go. If straight wall pistol cases are all you intend to reload, I think you'll find these inexpensive handpresses effective and enjoyable to use. I'm not knocking the Dillon progressives --- they're great for production runs of prodigious quantities of ammo (try feeding any "assault rifle" economically without one), but the little handpress is a great tool.

Last edited by jkc; 05-15-2010 at 12:20 AM.