View Single Post

Old 05-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Liked 73 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
I guess that tells us how smart "most" people really are. I would like to throw that spare tire out of the back of my Jeep since I've never used it yet, and replace it with more fried chicken, trail mix and diet Vernors, but I've talked to people that have known people that have had flats before...The fact that you might only need that 8 pound rifle once is enough for me.
Do you wear a kevlar vest everywhere you go? How about a helmet and 5pt harness in your car? The chances are good that you *might* need one of these things even more than that 8 pound rifle. Life is all about taking calculated risks.

As far as a G20 for bears, I admit to having no personal experience. It does seem funny to me that most folks who disparage it claim (perhaps rightly so) no handgun has enough power and all rely on a lucky CNS shot. If that's the case, a 10mm with FMJ or hardcast will probably penetrate as well as a .44 magnum.

I do feel that a 10mm on the hip is better than a .45-70 in camp, and even going unarmed and simply being aware is better than cowering inside the RV afraid of bears. Perhaps pepper spray is a better choice for your friends.

I freely admit to looking longingly at a G20 as a possible outdoors replacement for my 329pd. I like the 329, but could probably shoot the G20 better, and it is a bit flatter and better for urban use. I camp a lot, but not in grizzly country, so the biggest animal I have to worry about is black bears, cougars.

In conclusion, I'd much rather face a coastal brown bear with a 10mm (or even a 9mm) in my hand than no gun. Would I rather have a 500? Yes. Of course, I would rather have a rifle. Scratch that, I would rather be in an APC with twin 50's on top. Wait, no, I would rather be 3,000 feet overhead in a warthog. You get the idea.