View Single Post

Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 203 Times in 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelCD View Post
There are 3 different powders in the Clays line, Clays, International Clays and Universal Clays. All three are very different so don't mix them up.

As for Universal, like said above, it is very close to Unique and for the most part loads just like Unique except it's much cleaner. Many reloaders changed over to Universal when Unique was not available during the latest powder crunch. The guys I know that did said they are not changing back.
And they are all used as shotgun powders - Clays is fast, International is less fast, and Universal is medium speed.

They are not all pistol powders! DO NOT use International in pistol loads. Hodgdon warns this. International has a very peculiar charge-pressure curve that can push you into very high pressures with a minuscule increase in powder, and it is not very predictable. International is, however, one of the best shotgun powders - it gives lower pressure (and lower felt recoil) that really makes a difference to your shoulder after a 300 round trap shoot.

The first Unique shortage happened in the early 90's when Alliant bought Hercules. There have been others since. When it first happened, I switched to Universal, and I haven't been back. Universal is cleaner than Unique, and it meters better through the Dillon.

Buck