View Single Post

Old 05-24-2010, 03:20 PM

Liked 621 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWilson View Post
More seriously, I wonder if the H could be for Hartley, as in "Hartley & Graham." In the middle of the 19th century a Hartley married a Vanderveer, and the mother's name was carried into the next generation in the name of her son, Garrett Vanderveer Hartley. I think he is a cousin or nephew of Marcellus Hartley, the company founder. If there is an E-- Vanderveer Hartley in the picture in the late 1890s, we could have a link. (Garrett had a daughter named Elmira who was born in 1892-- too young to get a gun four years later. But there are other branches of the family.)

The extended LDS census and genealogical records are down right now, but this would be something to look into.

You just gave me serious goosebumps. All the hair on my arm is standing up
This seems like it could be a very real possibility. This was the introduction year of that gun so it would have been the newest most modern gun that Smith and Wesson was producing at the time.
Seems like a good possiblility that someone related to an owner of the business might wind up being given one as a gift.
It would be really interesting to see if any others similarly marked ever show up.
Thanks so much for this bit of information.
Can you give me a link to the census records? Is this free or do they charge?

I just found some of that information on line. I also noticed that a Schuyler also married a Vanderveer!

Last edited by twaits; 05-24-2010 at 03:36 PM.