Thread: First project
View Single Post

Old 05-25-2010, 09:00 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 15,609 Times in 3,112 Posts
Default thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDGG View Post
Beater made "BETTER", Id' say your S&W Revolver is GTG !!!

IMHO: I am not sure of how bad the etching or marking were originally, but I have always liked a lighter/finer matte finish, could just be the lighting in the pic, with a higher #/grit blasting media. I dont think it would be to hard to sell "as is" or if you wanted back to a polished SS look. If someone wanted the spurred hammer thats an easy replacement.

I personally like the bobbed hammer w/ the fixed sights. You worked it over to be a carry piece, & it looks the part = Nice Work !!!

Do you have any before pics?
Thanks for the compliments, yes, it is a very fine grit. I have the capacity/tools here to polish it out to mirror status...I did that to a 640-1 that I sold a couple of years ago....

I wish that had taken the 'before photos', but alas, I did not...it looked pretty sad, and the lettering was somewhere between laser etched and the machine pin-prick style that we are seeing in serial numbers now...It was not deep at all...in fact that was why I even attempted to remove it. Had it been the deep hand die stamped, or machine stamped letters, I would have left them. I might have left it alone long enough to perfect my TIG welding technique for stainless and then welded over them and ground it back flat....maybe next bogus agency gun will get that treatment....will save the first attempt for a junk frame (anyone have one to donate?)...

....and that gives rise to the question...has anyone welded over the factory stampings on their barrel and then re-finished it? I am thinking of making some 6" barrels into 3" and the remarking them (or leaving them blank)....any ideas?