View Single Post

Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWilson View Post
Mario, welcome to the forum. You identified the gun correctly.That is a very nice 1905/Fourth.

That serial number would put the gun about 1923. The five digit number inside the crane is irrelevant for dating purposes; that's just an assembly control number that was used inside the factory.

Two things you might like to note that are consistent with the early date for this revolver: the knob at the end of the ejector rod is the "mushroom" shape, with a wo-step profile. That style is found on the earliest hand ejector models (very late 1890s) went out of use about 1929. Also, the lack of medallions on the grips is consistent with 1920s manufacture. During the 'teens S&W grips had large recessed brass medallions at the top of each grip panel, and in the 1930s they had smaller, flush silver medallions.

That gun is really in spectacular condition. I don't see any evidence in that photo that would make me think it has been refinished. It is a great family heirloom.

The fixed sight .38 special revolvers have been S&W's bread and butter guns for over a century. They made 750,000 of them before WW2, and a couple of million more during the war and in the following decade. This model (with some engineering changes) was eventually named the Model 10 when the company went to model number designations in 1957. The specific variety you have (fourth change) was introduced in 1915.

You are lucky to have a family heirloom like that one, and doubly doubly lucky that it was preserved in such enviable condition.
Thank you for the thorough response David! The gun has been kept in a sock drawer for at least the last 50 years.

I fired the gun last weekend for the first time (6 rounds). She's a tack driver making one raged hole at 25 yards from a rest

I know appraisals are extremely subjective but could you give me a rough ball park range high & low on her for insurance purposes?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Mario1198s; 05-25-2010 at 11:01 AM.