View Single Post

Old 05-27-2010, 11:51 PM

Liked 4,317 Times in 2,115 Posts

LOUD, very very freakishly LOUD. About a month ago I was spending some "quality time" with my 617 when the fellow in the next land broke one out. Because it's a 50 yard indoor rifle range I always double up on hearing protection, however the 500 Magnum is loud enough that you feel it in your bones and feel the backdraft in your face. I put the 617 down and just stepped back from the bench to enjoy the fireworks. With the hearing protection I found it a bit enjoyable, sort of like the big boomers on the 4th of July. However, the young lady in the lane on the other side of the 500 Magnum shooter was visibly shocked and looked to be on the edge of tears.

I have to give the shooter credit, he was grouping at about 3 inches at 15 yards, which considering the recoil and muzzle blast is rather exceptional in my opinion. However, when talking to him later I suggested in the future that he might want to have the RO announce to the firing line than an extremely LOUD handgun was going to be used and suggest that those sensitive to having a stick of dynamite detonated 15 feet away should step back from the firing line and just enjoy the fireworks.

BTW, this wasn't the first time I've been exposed to the volume produced by the 500. The first time it was the 8 3/8 inch version, which I believe is a bit quieter than the 4 inch gun. However, with no warning it was still enough to have me levitate about 8 inches above ground. It's also when I learned to double up on the hearing protection, make it a lot less of a shock when someone opens up with something exceptional. I've also never seen more than 10 rounds expended by anyone shooting one of these big boys, considering the cost of the ammo that's not too surprizing.

If you can afford it and it's ammo, plus can tolerate the recoil, then go for it. Take it from a grumpy old man, you only live once and you may as well enjoy the time you have here.