View Single Post

Old 06-01-2010, 01:56 PM

Liked 29,163 Times in 14,101 Posts
Default .38 S&W Bullets

I do still have some of the old .38 S&W cartridges I kept as specimens. As is to be suspected, they are grungy-looking, but not corroded. All of the bullets I pulled were, as I remember, 146 grains. Incidentally, I loaded and fired those pulled bullets in .38 Super cases (light load), so I no longer have them. The cases from the cartridges that fired, I reloaded with my 3.5 grain Unique/125 grain bullet combination (after cleaning), except for those that had balloon heads. They reload fine. What type of pictures do you want?

If you're into odd S&W ammunition, a year or so ago I found at a gun show some new primed .38 S&W empty cases from Western, packed in full boxes of 50 that indicated, from the label, manufacture in the immediate Post-WWII era (Western Division of Olin Industries). Not so unusual maybe, but the cases were very reddish coppery looking, not at all like the color of brass. I didn't buy any, as the guy wanted too much for them (I think $20/box). I've not seen any modern ammo with copper cases.

Last edited by DWalt; 06-01-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Misspelling