View Single Post

Old 06-02-2010, 07:48 PM

Liked 94 Times in 28 Posts
Smile

I'm new here, but I am familiar with the ONI marked S&W Model 19's.

My neighbor was an old time ONI/NIS Special Agent in the 1960's and 70's. He was a higher up type, and when he retired he had a shadow box with his old credentials and his ONI and NIS gold badges.

He also had a Blue ONI marked S&W Model 19 4 incher. When I saw his little collection of guns, to include a Chinese AK47 from the Tet Offensive and a Silencer Equipped Swedish K subgun, which he said he brought back from the Manila ONI office, of all places.....

He said the S&W was not original ONI issue, since they were then, 1983, issuing the Ruger Speed Six in .357 mag. He had the gun made up from Smith & Wesson on an original ONI frame with a later model 19 cylinder & barrel. The front sight had a yellow insert (I guess since that is what he carried). You could tell that the gun was not original because of the gas guard on the cylinder had a gap....which was changed after the mid 1970's. The frame was in the range of the Supica/Nahas serial numbers, so it was legit. The trigger was a Ranger trigger (smooth & narrow) and the hammer was standard service type.

Frame was marked "ONI" under the cylinder cut out on the left side.

He also had a NIS Commemorative Stainless Steel Model 66 4" and a factory overun NIS & US marked Ruger GS32N Speed Six.

The thing I thought was most interesting was his Swedish K with silencer, which he allowed me to shoot in his backyard...in suburban Virginia Beach on the Lynhaven river. We took it apart to clean and I took some pictures using his NIS Crime Scene kit ruler. I have the pictures somewhere and will try and post them up.

He passed on due to Cancer in the early 1990's, and I do not know what happened to his guns or Badges. His family moved to Florida and I lost track of them due to Overseas jobs.

The last one I saw sold in the late 1990's from the collection of the late Bill Anderson of Burkburnett Texas. Bill had a great collection of Military use Smiths, to include Tommie Campbell's parts rack built Smith & Wesson Hush Puppy 9mm (one of two in Civilian hands).

What I do remember is that outside of any released by Smith & Wesson in the 1980's after ONI/NIS stopped buying revolvers.....none were ever released into Non-Governmental hands.

The FBI got some of the ONI and NIS marked ones (the NIS marked ones were from the late 1960s - post 1968). The FBI SWAT Team carried them until 1984-5 when they issued 559's and other variants. There are still some on the weapons boards at Quantico. The rest were delcared surplus and issued to GSA Guards and some Federal Housing police.

If you have one with a legit S&W history and not stolen Federal property, it should be worth over $1000, which is what Bill Anderson's gun went for. As a contrast, NIB Ruger NIS marked Speed Sixes are highly in demand by collectors since only 125 were released in 1995 and they sell from $750 to $1500 depending on condition and completness.

First model ONI guns from 1965 have red ramps and smooth triggers. Most all have the S&W marked grip adapter.

Second model has NIS and are from 1968. Some have red or yellow inserts. Smooth triggers and S&W Grip adapters. these were also issued with Seventrees marked holsters and handcuff cases, and they are collectable in and of themselves.

There was a NCIS agent named Blair Gluba who was very tight with the Van Orden's, and he is responsible for making the NIS commemorative guns C&R eligible, and he also was responsible for all of the quotes about the ONI & NIS guns since he served as an agent for both agencies.

He now works as a consultant for FN Herstal in Northern Virginia. You can google him and he can probably fill you in even more.

If you find a registered Swedish K with silencer with a weird green paint job, keep me in mind......I still have fond memories of my 5 minutes behind that gun on the river bank......and that was over 20 years ago!

Good luck on your gun! Post some pics as they are great guns.

Last edited by SpartanDCI; 06-04-2010 at 12:35 PM.
The Following 22 Users Like Post: