View Single Post

Old 06-04-2010, 10:03 AM

Liked 1,195 Times in 457 Posts

k22fan;
Not to be picking on you, but strain screws DO back out on their own (i have had it happen - it is not often but is definitely something to look at from time to time when you are cleaning your gun).

IMO, red loc-tite is TOO much. Blue loc-tite will hold fine and will not overly resist removal, if necessary.

>>>first look at the end of the strain screw to see if someone filed it shorter. Some misguided owners do that rather than simply backing the screw out.<<<

Jerry Miculek is not only one of the finest, if not THE best revolver shooters EVER, he is also a VERY talented Pistol Smith. On his trigger tuning DVD (very good, by the way) he specifically mentions shortening the strain screw to deliver a particular "trigger pull weight", as desired.

I DO agree, that many reliability problems can be traced to "bubba pistol smithing".

Some serious competitors tune their revolvers for very light double action pull - so light that they REQUIRE Federal Primers for reliability (Federal primers are widely known to be "softer" than other brands).

I tune my revolvers to about 9.0 lbs double action to increase reliability with "other" primers. I get NO misfires at 9.0 lbs but when I can get them, I use Federals.

My carry guns use heavier actions - those MUST "go bang" EVERY time without fail.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53