View Single Post

Old 06-09-2010, 05:28 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,678 Times in 6,037 Posts
Default The M1A1 Carbine in combat

I was just musing over the 66th anniversary of D-Day today, and in particular the role of our Airborne Divisions in that fracas. Being dropped in the dark over enemy territory without a very clear idea of exactly where you are seems to me to be a pretty hazardous undertaking. I was also thinking on one unique arm that was specially designed for the paratroopers. This was the M1A1 folding-stock "paratrooper" carbine issued to the 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions. This arm was used in every European Airborne operation of the war. The 101st and the 82nd were the only outfits getting them, although I understand that the 101st gave about a dozen to forward observers of the 90th Division as a reward for their help in directing precision artillery fire on the enemy. I found very few pictures on the net of these carbines in use, but here are a few.

First, note the officer getting ready for the D-day drop. He has an M1A1 attached to his belt, using one of the also-unique canvas "holsters" designed specifically for this arm.

You have to look closely at this next shot. This was taken shortly after D-day. The officer at the far left, interrogating German prisoners, has an M1A1 carbine in his right hand.

This next picture is about the clearest I could find on the M1A1 carbine in combat. It shows a group of 101st Airborne soldiers riding in a commandeered German kubelwagen. The guy sitting on the right fender of the vehicle clearly has an M1A1 carbine at the ready. Look closely at the guy directly behind him, partially obscured. He's evidently carrying an M3 or M3A1 "grease gun."

I was lucky enough to have found a G.I.-original M1A1 quite a number of years ago (1970, when they were not that uncommon). This is an Inland gun (of course, only Inland made the M1A1), with a serial number reflecting manufacture in 1943, in a correct block for the M1A1. It has been upgraded after the war with the later adjustable rear sight, rotary safety, and bayonet lug.

Today, genuine M1A1 carbines are scarce and quite valuable, a disappearing footnote to the weapons of World War II. Modern reproductions have been made, but there is no comparison to having one that might have been there during the war. I'm glad to have an example. Anyone else have one of these interesting weapons?

John